Let’s talk about going into the tutorial business and what to invest once you decide to pursue your dreams of putting up a tutorial business in the Philippines.
Of course, you can always start from scratch.
This is the advantage of being a tutor. You can start your business with little or no cash at all.
But if you want a more serious way to start a good tutorial service business, you should invest some things just like other businesses.
Take note that if you want to make money, you have to invest something.
Here are Investments for a tutorial business.
- All your personality traits are investments. Good personality traits beget good results. Be sure to be a good tutor so that your students will multiply.
- Cash – Cash is needed in every business that you put up. Whether you like it or not, you have to have money in order to put up a real business. Of course, you can always start from scratch because, in a tutorial business, all you need is your talent and the students to teach. But if you want to grow your business, you need to invest money.
- School Supplies – School supplies include papers (pad papers, bond papers, newsprint, etc), pens, pencils and crayons. You also need staplers, sharpeners and erasers. Most students use their own supplies but you should be ready for these materials in cases where they are needed.
- Small Machines – In the future, you are going to need a computer if you don’t already have one and a printer. When we first opened our tutorial business, we did the worksheets manually and it was hard work. We often slept late writing the worksheets. When we had the computer, the job was easy and fast. In my next tutorial, I will teach you how to make your work easier.
- Text Books – You need books too for reference. In our case, we often went to Recto to buy some used books. If you live in Metro Manila, the place is where used books are rampant. Just list down the reference books of the students and the author and there are many books around Recto to choose from. The used books are half the price of new books or even lower. Thanks to those book stands in Recto. One more thing; we only buy Science, Araling Panlipunan and Religion books because unlike Language, Filipino and Math that can be taught without books, these subjects need references.
- Other – Of course, you need other materials such as electric fans, air conditioners, additional chairs and tables and storage boxes for your school materials. These can be purchased later especially if your tutorial business is already growing.
- Time is crucial in a tutorial business just like any other business. If you don’t have time for your business, your business will not prosper. Before investing in your business, make sure that you have the time to nurture it. In our case, we give special tutorial services on weekends during examination periods. This is important because parents often have no time to review their children at home. Tutorial business needs so much of your time. You cannot file a leave of absence and you cannot go on vacation except for the school breaks.
In time, you will learn so many things about your business through experience. You will also learn many techniques to make tutoring more effective and systematic for the students.
Stay tuned and we will give you more.